Thursday, July 30, 2009

Walker Evans

Walker Evans ... Roadside Store ... 1936

The Fenimore House, in Cooperstown, N.Y., is holding an exhibition of Walker Evans' photography. Both my Mom and cousin Dianne attended, and told me about it. (none too shabby for a little upstate town) Evans is best known for his depression era work for the Farm Security Administration, but his career continued until the '70s. The picture above, Roadside store between Tuscaloosa and Greensboro - Alabama, 1936, is both representative and one of my favorites. Neither Mom nor Dianne could tell me if the Fenimore prints were gelatin silver or one of the new carbon prints and I couldn't reach anyone who did know, so that remains a mystery for now. ( when in doubt, go with the platinum )

No comments:

Post a Comment