Monday, September 28, 2009

A Fair to Remember


Art in the Alley Presents

Yesterday I went to see the Folsom Street Fair. The two entry lines on the low side were around the block. The pervasive dance music (all 26 flavors of disco, all at once) and the cheek to jowl density slowed me down (been there, done that). I stopped on the corner and fell to chatting with a fellow about what was going on inside. He was undressed to the nines and reported that a grand time was being had by all. ( although I suspect he'll be paying for the combination of sunshine and white dungeon butt today). A sub from the Cult of Bruce (Bay Guardian) presumed to hitchhike on our conversation, but couldn't seem to answer certain questions. Such as:

  • What am I being liberated from?
  • What is them's name, address, telephone number or e-mail?
  • Who pays the cost? ( I already know that answer.)

My leather accoutrements consist of a pair of black cowboy boots and a well-worn tool belt. (Don't think about this one, it's just plain scary). Useful, but lacking that Mr. S flair shown by the other fairgoers. So I decided to take my unliberated, non-hot tuchis and go see Byren and Serena (previous post) On my way home I came across a little fair that fit my mood a great deal better.

A Fair to Remember was next to Vesuvio in North Beach. It had a DJ, granted, but he was operating at under 15,000 watts. Artists had set out their wares, and people from the neighborhood were standing around, enjoying the sun and each other. No food booths were up, but if you couldn't find a nosh where Chinatown meets North beach, you weren't hungry anyway. I guess some fairs work best as giant inculcation spectacles, and some are planned with people's enjoyment in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment