Thursday, April 15, 2010

Brucecorp

Oh boy, the Bay Guardian's green issue.

  • Self-proclaimed ¾ million in circulation equals how much paper in the wastestream. (in tons)
  • Half the issue devoted to advertisements for stuff, stuff, and more stuff, necessary to demonstrate your solidarity with various movements. (no personal effort involved, use your credit card)
  • The cars, trucks, and building on Mississippi St. are green how? And I guess those cancer / cell phone articles will have to go now that the new agreement is signed. Or maybe not. We can still read about those other companies that are non-union, or abusing the courts, or sliding on their permit issues.

Yeah, yeah, holding Brucecorp up to its own cant is just picking low-hanging fruit. (and they take criticism so well) If you want a really tough assignment, try explaining the difference between the antics of the progressive Guardian and their polar media counterparts @ Fox to a disinterested third party. (we reported it, so it must be true. Q.E.D.) On the other hand, I can say that they have improved my writing. I can't use the words celebrate, class, progressive, crucial, vision, 'hood, or liberating without an inner voice warning me that I'm descending into facile slogans. Now if I can just address that darn circumlocution habit.

No comments:

Post a Comment