Sunday, May 31, 2009

Privacy

"Each new heinous act will prompt government appeals for greater surveillance powers......in the ensuing dread and panic, a frightened public will grant those new powers." David Brin, The Transparent Society © 1998
"I worry about this participatory panoptikon more than I do private detectives or government spooks...What's happening is that everybody is now a tiny piece of one colossal Big Brother." Bruce Sterling quoted by Suzanne Stefanac

Almost everyone I know is tired of one-sided privacy. An example would be dealing with local government. (S.F.) After presenting various identification strings to prove your bona fides, you're refused a name in return. (policy) Climbing the inevitable ladder becomes more difficult without an initial rung. Your official records seem to be available to any government employee, of any ilk, but getting a copy for yourself, oy³! Yes, there are firewalls in place, guidelines du jour, and sunshine laws-o-rama, but without a lawyer at hand, access is only for the infinitely patient.

On a larger scale, cyberspace itself is privacy's death of a thousand cuts. I'm sure Obama's new computer security initiative will include autonomous editing bots, but I doubt they'll be available off the shelf at Office Depot. The best I can currently offer is: 1) Think first, then call, than think some more, then post. I do pay a monthly fee to keep this Verizon e-leash on my belt. 2) Push for some two-way transparency in government. If their so darn busy protecting my interests, give me a name and address so I can thank them. After all, they know where I live.

No comments:

Post a Comment