Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Reentry

I returned from N.Y. late yesterday night. Saw most of the family and several old friends. Downstate has changed enough since I lived there that I actualy needed a map. To be honest, signs noted the changes, but I neglected to read them. Getting lost on vacation can be fun. Take-aways from my time away.

  • Folks in Buffalo know how to make the best roast beef sandwiches and do a fine job on pickled beets too.
  • The Metropolitan Museum of Art whopped our local versions before the end of the first room.
  • Small town 4th of July parades are way better than the big-time professional ones.
  • A hot day in upstate N.Y. is way different than a hot day in S.F.(it was melt the lard off your butt hot around the 6th)
  • You can get along without being online. The withdrawl symptoms ease after the 9th day.
  • Family is family.

May (picture above) serves me coffee in the morning.(Happy Donuts - next door) I'm not really sentient before the first cup, so I've come to depend on her for acculturating the curmudgeon in the morning. I bought her the hat (and some Amish fudge for the kids) and now we're going to work on the laconic yup (serviceable, albeit a bit chipper) and y'all. In return, she's going to teach me to pronounce her name properly. (it's Sokmay. Where y'all from, N.Y.?) I'll post more pictures as time permits.

No comments:

Post a Comment